There is an accessory that man has used since prehistoric times: the shoe. According to Wikipedia, the oldest pair ever found dates back to about eleven thousand years ago. During the whole history of humanity then, the shoe has been improving, passing from Roman sandals, to medieval sandals, up to long Risorgimento slippers. The choice of a shoo-in history was based on comfort, the availability of materials, but also on fashion. And so it is now.
Only in the nineteenth century, with the invention of rubber, did the world of footwear revolutionize and become more and more comfortable. The best Shoes for Plantar Fasciitis are today very advanced both from the point of view of the technology of the materials and of the design.
Now, this accessory is very common, and (almost) we can all afford at least a couple. We all want comfortable walking shoes, but which ones to choose? There are so many types and brands that all look good.
This guide is intended to help you choose the best walking shoe.
- WHY BUY COMFORTABLE WALKING SHOES?
- SHOPPING GUIDE: THE BEST SHOES FOR WALKING
- THE MOST COMFORTABLE SHOES FOR WALKING
- COLUMBIA PEAK FREAK X2 OUTDRY
- SALOMON SPEEDCROSS 4
- SALEWA ULTRA TRAIN 2
- MOJITO SHOE
- NIKE AIR ZOOM PEGASUS 36
- SKECHERS ADVANTAGE AND GRACEFUL
- ASICS GEL-VENTURE 7: SHOES FOR WALKING (OVERWEIGHT)
- VIBRAM FIVE FINGERS KSO EVO
- TREKKING SANDALS: KEEN NEWPORT H2 AND WHISPER
- THE BEST SOCKS FOR WALKING
- DANISH ENDURANCE Summer Hiking and Trekking Socks in Lightweight Merino Wool for Men, Women, and Children, 3 Pairs Lightweight, Thermal, Insulating, Anti-Blister, and Breathable Socks
- Sesto Senso Winter Trekking Thermal Socks Wool Men Women 1-3 Pairs Hiking Socks
- OTTER waterproof and breathable socks for MEN and WOMEN. (Dark Gray, Medium) For outdoor activities, such as running, cycling, hiking. Always dry skin thanks to COOLMAX® CORE technology.
- CHARACTERISTICS OF SHOES SUITABLE FOR WALKING?
- FOOT ROLL
- TABLE: MEN’S AND WOMEN’S SHOE SIZES
- SUPPORT FOR OVERPRONATORS
- HARD OR SOFT SOLE?
- THE BEST SHOES FOR MEN OR WOMEN
- WHAT KIND OF SHOE DO YOU NEED TO BUY?
- TRAIL RUNNING
- FROM CITY
- RUNNING SHOES
WHY BUY COMFORTABLE WALKING SHOES?
On every occasion, we need comfortable footwear for walking. Do you have to go shopping? You need to walk well. Do you need shoes to travel to? Long transfers are best done in comfort. Do you have to play sports? There is no doubt that taking steps in the “wrong” way can lead to problems in your whole body.
Shoes must be of quality for any activity, even for staying indoors or taking short walks. Using poor quality footwear can lead to quite serious problems: injuries, pains in the legs, joints, back. And it is no coincidence that some of these problems can often be solved simply by buying better shoes or adding an orthopedic insole.
Buying shoes for good walking will make the difference between suffering and comfort, so leave the models without soles or with a non-performing role, you will only hurt yourself.
SHOPPING GUIDE: THE BEST SHOES FOR WALKING
Are you trying to figure out which are the best shoes for walking on the road or in normal life?
In this article, you will first find a comparative table with what I consider the best footwear ever. Go ahead and find out what are the most important criteria for choosing one shoe over another. Finally, you can find more information and opinions on the best walking shoes chosen and reviewed for you.
THE MOST COMFORTABLE SHOES FOR WALKING
So here we are with the best walking shoes for plantar fasciitis for both men and women, those that manage to be at the top in most of the characteristics listed above and are perfect on almost any terrain where you will take your walks.
COLUMBIA PEAK FREAK X2 OUTDRY
Definitely my favorites. Consider that their older version has accompanied me everywhere for more than five years, having to endure long walks in the Cambodian jungle, in the African savannah on a safari in Uganda, in the Alps, and in a myriad of other places.
With the outcry technology that makes them water repellent, they are perfect in any weather condition. During the South Asian monsoons, my colleagues walked around in rubber boots, while I came home with dry feet thanks to the Peakfreak X2.
Given the possibility of use in any situation, they are the best shoes for aid workers and aid workers, who need a pair of comfortable shoes suitable for walking on any surface.
These shoes, very comfortable for walking, are very light and at the same time resistant. The toe reinforcement does not excessively increase its weight, but it does keep the toes safe from missteps and trips. They are so comfortable that from the first time I wore them I felt comfortable and didn’t have to “try them on” for a while before tackling more challenging walks. I have never had a problem with limp or bleeding feet.
Both the men’s and women’s versions are produced in different colors, so you can choose the one that suits you best. If you need comfortable shoes for long walks, the Peakfreak X2 are the ones for you. moreover with a practically unbeatable value for money.
Read more opinions on the Peakfreak X2 for men or in the women’s version.
SALOMON SPEEDCROSS 4
SALOMON Speedcross 4, Men’s Trail Running Shoes
- Offers excellent shock absorber and anatomical seal.
- The molded EVA midsole offers lightweight, very stable cushioning.
- Extremely light running shoe with removable OrthoLite sole made of EVA foam and a Gore-Tex lining for dry and cool feet, pleasant to wear, good cushioning and anatomical foot support thanks to the EVA foam midsole.
- Won’t slip on the wet mountain or forest floors, slip or mud thanks to Premium Wet Contagrip technology, particularly low profile for good performance on uneven floors.
SALOMON Speedcross 4 W, Women’s Trail Running Shoes
- Women’s running and trail running shoes, ideal for long distances and on dirt tracks
- Fits perfectly on the foot, Quick to put on thanks to the Quicklace lacing system, Water-resistant upper material to keep feet dry, Anti-debris mesh to prevent stones and debris from entering the shoe
- Lightweight running shoe with removable Ortholite sole made of EVA mousse for feet always dry and fresh, Comfortable, Cushioning and anatomical support of the feet thanks to the EVA midsole
- High grip even on wet, slippery, and muddy grounds thanks to the Premium Wet Contagrip technology, Reinforcement at the base of the shoe for good performance even on uneven terrains
- Contents: 1 pair of Salomon Speedcross 4 women’s shoes, Material: Synthetic / Textile, Color: Black (Black / Black / Black Metallic), Size: 36
If you are looking for athletic walking shoes, look no further. These trail shoes are among the most popular. Created by Salomon for walking, but also running on country and mountain trails, they are very resistant and are well suited to those who want to approach the trial.
Salomon technology is seen in this model. The Contagrip outsole offers robustness and grip with few equals. Quicklace laces are comfortable, fast and won’t get caught in branches or other debris. They are obviously waterproof, so you can have dry feet on almost any occasion.
Read more reviews for the men’s version of women’s Salomon Speedcross 4 shoes, probably the best shoes for walking in the mountains.
SALEWA ULTRA TRAIN 2
SALEWA Ms. Ultra Train 2, Men’s Hiking Boots
SALEWA WS Ultra Train 2, Women’s Hiking Boots
- Mountain shoes> Woman> Trekking low shoes
Here we are at one of the Italian excellences, Salewa. The South Tyrolean brand is a guarantee of quality for everything related to the mountains and their shoes are among the best. Trekking or trial, the Ultra Train 2 is a hybrid suitable for both disciplines.
The Michelin outsole, another big name, offers excellent traction and stability.
To adapt to the trail, Salewa added some resistance and stability in both the toe and heel, as well as a specially cushioned footbed.
Read the opinions of others who have purchased the Salewa Ultra Train 2 for men or in the colorful version for women , among the best shoes for fast walking in the mountains.
SHOE Mojito City Gore-Tex Walking
- Women, Men, Waterproof Lining
- Nubuck / Gore-Tex
Scarpa Mojito WMN – Casual shoes for women
- The mountain subway style is the right blend of outdoor and street
- The molded Vibram spyder sole is designed for added versatility.
- Double density EVA padding for any adventure, mountain, or city.
- Structure entirely in leather. 0.2 cm suede upper
- Rubber tip for added protection.
Another local excellence, the Scarpa di Treviso has created one of my favorite shoes that I particularly care about.
Let’s start with what makes them unique: design. In fact, they look like semi-elegant shoes, so that they can be used in any situation. I go there quietly to the office or when I have some meetings with some humanitarian partners in a refugee camp.
Aesthetics, however, is not at the expense of comfort. The Mojitos, in fact, can very well be used for long walks in the mountains or on any surface thanks to their very resistant sole.
The Gore-Tex technology makes them completely waterproof, suitable for any situation.
I consider them the perfect shoes for co-workers to be combined with the Columbia Peakfreak X2, compared to which the Scarpa is warmer and better suited to winter climates. They are also comfortable shoes for walking on the go, as they are good on many terrains and for many occasions.
There are also some non-waterproof models, suitable for the city, but less so in other contexts. Make sure you buy the Gore-Tex ones!
Read the excellent opinions of the very Italian Scarpa Mojito for men and women.
NIKE AIR ZOOM PEGASUS 36
Nike Air Zoom Pegasus 36, Men’s Running Shoes
- Shock absorber.
Nike Air Zoom Pegasus 36, Women’s Running Shoes
- Sports shoes
My favorite running shoes, always accompany me in sports, but they are also excellent shoes for walking.
Nike with the Zoom series has created a high-quality product, rigid and cushioned just the right to withstand the vibrations to which the foot is subjected during the race.
At first, the heel tip that comes out so much may seem strange, but it gives good stability during the roll.
The Nike Air Zoom Pegasus 36 is undoubtedly among the best Nike shoes for walking in the city.
Read the opinions of those who bought the men’s or women’s, model.
SKECHERS ADVANTAGE AND GRACEFUL
Skechers Flex Advantage 2.0 – Day show, Men’s Sneakers
- Mesh and synthetic upper
- 5 eyelet lace
- Padded collar and tongue
- Fabric shoe lining
- Air-cooled memory insole
Skechers Sneaker Woman Graceful Twisted Fortune
- Flat knit sports fabric upper in a training sneaker with lacing with stitching
- Memory Foam insole.
- Upper in soft smooth flat knit fabric
- Lace-up the sports training sneaker
- Mesh fabric with intertwined designs with thin sporty stripes
The best Skechers shoes for walking, the Graceful 12614 are among the cheapest city shoes.
The soft and flexible sole is added inside in memory foam for total comfort, but only on very flat surfaces and without stones or other roughness. They are definitely not good for long mountain walks, but they remain among the best trainers for walking in the city.
This unisex shoe is available in a dozen colors, all very youthful and captivating.
Read the opinions on Skechers Graceful 12614 from those who bought them before you.
ASICS GEL-VENTURE 7: SHOES FOR WALKING (OVERWEIGHT)
ASICS Gel-Venture 7, Men’s Running Shoes
- Breathable outer material in fabric and synthetic.
- Gel cushioning in the back of the foot.
- Quilted finger protection.
ASICS Gel-Venture 7, Women’s Running Shoes
- Synthetic leather upper
- EVA midsole; Internal heel
- GEL technology in the rearfoot area
- ORTHOLITE insole
Originally born as running shoes, the seventh generation of the Asics Gel-Venture is a great shoe for those who are overweight.
If you are obese you will know very well all the problems that this can cause on the lower limbs, such as plantar fasciitis, overpronation, pain in the knees, all ailments that come from greater pressure on your feet.
The gel on the heel guarantees a healthy cushioning of the blow and a better roll, giving relief to the foot. With the Asics Gel-Venture 7, the weight of your body will be well distributed over the entire foot, improving the quality of your walk and reducing fatigue. These models are the perfect shoes for the obese.
You can find out more about one of the best Asics shoes for walking, in the men’s or women’s version.
VIBRAM FIVE FINGERS KSO EVO
Vibram Five Fingers KSO Evo, Men’s Sport Shoes
- Responsive on unpredictable terrain
- Designed for stability and comfort
- Outsole Specifications: 2mm EVA insole + Antimicrobial Drilex Sockliner, Rubber: 3mm thick
- Upper material: polyester fabric
Vibram Five Fingers KSO Evo, Women’s Sport Shoes
- Abrasion-resistant stretch nylon and breathable mesh upper – prevents sounding from infiltrating the shoe while allowing air to enter the interior, promoting a cool, dry, and more pleasant environment
- Quick Release Lace – Allows the wearer to tighten the shoe with a single pull.
- Non-marking 3.5 mm Vibram TC1 Performance rubber outsole – Razor Lamellation and a zigzag pattern offer excellent traction on a variety of surfaces.
- 2mm EVA sock liner – provides added cushioning, protection and comfort.
- Anti Microbial Drilex Insole – Promotes a clean, dry environment free of bacteria and unpleasant odors.
Yes, they are strange to look at. But they are also very comfortable. The Vibram Five Fingers have been created to facilitate the natural movement of the foot as much as possible, with the result of a perfect and more performing roll.
They are obviously very light, but with good protections in key points, you don’t risk getting injured easily.
Excellent for walking in the city, they have their say even on more rugged terrain thanks to the quality of the Vibram sole.
If I haven’t convinced you, read the enthusiastic reviews of those who have already bought the Five Fingers KSO Evo for men or the model for women.
TREKKING SANDALS: KEEN NEWPORT H2 AND WHISPER
KEEN Newport H2, Men’s Climbing Sandals
- Performance sport sandal with elastic lacing system and back loop
- Support for the shaped arch. Care: All KEEN water sandals are machine washable. Use a small amount of detergent, wash with a gentle cycle, and air dry. Tip: This style is running a 1/2 size small. It is recommended to order a 1/2 size larger than the usual size.
- Metatarsal support
- Maintenance: Machine washable, use a small amount of detergent, wash on delicate cycle and air dry.
KEEN Whisper, Women’s Climbing Shoes
- Polyester upper – ensures great fit and comfort.
- Lacing System – For a secure and customizable fit, as well as easy to put on and take off.
- EVA metastatic model – Support and comfort for your feet.
- Compression-molded EVA midsole – CMEVA midsole provides cushioning and durability.
- TPU midsole – for added stability and a smoother stride.
Yes, the best summer hiking shoes could be open footwear. These two models from Keen are comfortable sandals for walking and are obviously among the best breathable shoes since they don’t have a full upper.
Maybe not suitable for very long trips with several days spent in the mountains, they defend themselves very well on simple surfaces and for more demanding daily treks. It is not uncommon to encounter Northern Europeans who use sandals for walking, thanks to their comfort in many different situations.
They could be a great choice to wear with another pair of more technical shoes, to use as slippers, and for easier walks.
If you’re looking for comfortable open shoes for walking, check out the excellent marks given to the Keen Newport H2 (for men) and Keen Whisper (for women) by those who bought them before you.
THE BEST SOCKS FOR WALKING
Between your foot and your shoe, you also need a good protective membrane. For this reason, the choice of the shoe does not conclude the process of being ready to walk properly.
Below I recommend technical socks for all conditions, but particularly suitable for long walks.
DANISH ENDURANCE Summer Hiking and Trekking Socks in Lightweight Merino Wool for Men, Women, and Children, 3 Pairs Lightweight, Thermal, Insulating, Anti-Blister, and Breathable Socks
- MERINO WOOL FOR COMFORT AND FRESHNESS: These lightweight hiking socks are made from high-quality merino wool, whose natural antibacterial and insulating properties will keep your feet warm in the winter and cool in the summer. The ventilation lanes facilitate the evaporation of sweat, for always dry feet. The padding on the sole of the foot reduces the risk of blisters
- IDEAL FOR TREKKING AND every day: These unisex socks are perfect for trekking, hiking, outdoor activities, walking, climbing, traveling, or as everyday thermal socks during the cold season. These hiking socks are the perfect gift for family and friends, available in sizes: 31-34, 35-38, 39-42, 43-47
- DESIGNED IN DENMARK – MADE IN EUROPE: Our design team develops these lightweight hiking socks in Copenhagen, Denmark. The manufacturing facilities are located in Portugal, where fair working conditions are guaranteed. The merino wool used comes from animals treated without mulesing practices
- RECOMMENDED BY HIKERS: These lightweight hiking socks were developed in collaboration with mountaineer Rasmus Kragh, the first Dane to climb Everest without the use of supplemental oxygen in May 2019. During his workouts, Rasmus tests our socks to guarantee the highest standards of performance and resistance of the material
- EXCELLENT CUSTOMER SERVICE: We want our customers to be happy – If you have any questions or problems, please feel free to contact us. Our customer support service is always ready to help you and find the best solution for you
Sesto Senso Winter Trekking Thermal Socks Wool Men Women 1-3 Pairs Hiking Socks
- Women’s and men’s winter hiking socks; Enriched with silver ions; Quick-drying; Durable, soft, and warm
- Flat seams; Reinforced heels and toes; Below the knee; Very comfortable
- Mainly made of high-quality breathable wool; Effectively removes moisture; Adapted to low temperatures
- Enrichment with silver ions naturally inhibits the growth of fungi and bacteria; Unpleasant odors are eliminated
- Made in the EU
OTTER waterproof and breathable socks for MEN and WOMEN. (Dark Gray, Medium) For outdoor activities, such as running, cycling, hiking. Always dry skin thanks to COOLMAX® CORE technology.
- OTTER calf-high socks, original, breathable, and waterproof. They keep the skin dry in the most varied weather conditions. Feet warm and dry when it’s cold, rainy, and windy. Feeling of freshness on hot days.
- Three-layer technology: the outer layer is made of 74% resistant polyamide, which does not bleed, 23% lycra, and 3% elastane. Laminated PTFE that allows water vapor to escape but prevents water from penetrating inside the socks. The inner layer is made of 80% Coolmax and 20% Lycra.
- Suitable for any type of sports and outdoor activities, such as golf, walking, hiking, running, cycling, mountain biking, skiing, snowboarding, fishing, or work. The outer polyamide layer dries quickly and offers excellent wear resistance.
- The use of synthetic fibers for OTTER socks limits skin irritation in case of allergies. Comfortable: Socks designed for a snug fit. The accumulation of heat inside the socks increases the pressure and favors the escape of steam.
CHARACTERISTICS OF SHOES SUITABLE FOR WALKING?
To choose the shoes that best suit your needs, we need to understand what are the most important characteristics that differentiate a low-value shoe from the most comfortable in circulation.
Rolling is the movement that our foot makes during its contact with the ground. Start with the heel strike, which should be as light as possible to avoid injuries to the lower limbs. After the heel, the central part of the foot is the one that rests on the ground up to the toes that give the momentum for the next step.
This movement is more important the more sporty your gait is: if you do sport walking or fit-walking you will have to pay more attention to the way in which the foot roll takes place. Better mechanics will bring benefits in terms of speed, fatigue, and the ability to walk for a long time.
It goes without saying that the type of shoe will affect the roll of your foot since harder soles such as those of mountain boots hinder the natural movement of the foot a bit and create more harmful vibrations for your lower limbs.
TABLE: MEN’S AND WOMEN’S SHOE SIZES
Pay attention to the size of the shoes you buy. Different countries have different methods for calculating footwear size. There are also differences between models for women and for men: a 40 for women will not necessarily correspond to a 40 for men. To avoid problems, it is always best to compare what is written on the boxes with the size chart below.
Not all models “dress” in the same way. And not all feet are the same. Even the same person often has slightly asymmetrical feet and one of them is slightly larger. So how to choose the ideal shoes for walking?
Read the reviews, from there it is clear whether the plant is wider or narrow. But in general, don’t worry, the best shoes for long walks all have features and materials suitable for every type of foot.
You will need cushioned shoes for walking if you plan on taking long journeys. It is not only during running or jumping that our foot is subjected to strong vibrations, but also during walking, especially if prolonged over time. The best-cushioned shoes have gels or air just above the sole that supports the bounce of the foot. A well-cushioned brisk walk is such an important thing that I always recommend checking with an orthopedist who specializes in foot care whether or not you need to add the use of an orthotic or some other type of support.
Our fitness also affects our ideal type of walking shoes: overweight and obesity require different footwear due to the different types of foot support. Contrary to what you might think, the heavier your weight, the less cushioned your shoe needs to be. This is because a more rigid structure helps in the stability of the walk, already put under pressure by the greater weight it has to bear.
If you are overweight you have an extra reason to invest in good shoes for walking a lot, since you will on average struggle a little more than someone who is thinner. Don’t give up though, precisely because buying the best walking shoes will be the first step towards more enjoyable and regular exercise, which will make weight loss easier.
The best walking shoes for the obese are the Asics Gel Venture-7, of which you can find a review below.
SUPPORT FOR OVERPRONATORS
Adequate support is needed for overpronation sufferers, which means that the foot does not arch as it should (the famous flat feet). There are specific models of shoes for those with this pathology, especially running shoes since it is the activity that causes the most vibrations on the foot.
The best shoes for overpronators are the Nike Lunarglide 9 for men and in their women’s version.
HARD OR SOFT SOLE?
The sole of a shoe, formed by the midsole and the tread, or the part in contact with the ground, has different qualities depending on the use of the shoe. The best shoes for long walking have a rather soft sole because they favor the rolling of the foot. On the other hand, shoes for walking in the mountains will have a harder sole, because it must protect the foot on rough terrain. Doing so, however, will limit the cushioning of the step and in the long run, could create pain in the lower limbs.
Sports walking shoes, for example, have a resistant but very soft sole, so that the foot can release all its strength during the heel-toe movement. If you need shoes for walking a lot and in different conditions, then I recommend that you opt for a model with a medium-soft sole that adapts to most terrains. You just need to be a little more careful on the bumpier ones.
The composition of the tread is also important. Shoes for walking on snow or in the mountains will have more grooves than shoes for walking on asphalt since they will have to grip the ground differently. Shoes for walking on water and on wet surfaces, for example, will have very small grooves, so as to be able to eliminate liquids from under the soles, while maintaining a good grip on the regular underlying bottom.
Of course, we all want light walking shoes! There is no doubt that lifting 300g or 500g of the shoe can make a difference during long walks, especially in hot climates such as those found on an African safari. But be careful, because the heaviest shoes are also the most resistant and protect the foot better. If you are looking for the best shoes to walk a lot and on different terrains, always orient yourself towards a medium model: it will not be too heavy like hiking boots, but at the same time, it will not be excessively light and not very protective like the best trail running shoes.
Not everyone recommends taking waterproof shoes, especially since breathability is normally reduced compared to normal ones. With the new technologies in the textile field, however, one thing no longer necessarily excludes the other.
From my point of view, the waterproofing of a shoe is essential. Puddles are everywhere, from the most manicured city to the Amazon rainforest, but also in the African savannahs during the rainy season. A dry foot can make the difference between being cold or hot, between being weak or not, between being sick or not. This is why I advise you to choose the best waterproof shoes when looking for something for your walks.
The last two points addressed can be quickly summarized in an acronym: Gore-Tex. This fabric invented in 1969 is water repellent, allows the escape of water vapor, and consequently keeps the foot cool and, finally, it is very light and resistant. Exactly what we are looking for in the best comfortable shoes for a lot of walking. The best breathable shoes are without a doubt now all in Gore-Tex.
In recent years this material has revolutionized the world of footwear thanks to its multiple properties. It is no coincidence that the best shoes for walking almost all have a Gore-Tex upper.
THE BEST SHOES FOR MEN OR WOMEN
Initially, only the colors differentiated men’s shoes from women’s ones. Only recently has it been realized that the shape of the two feet does not always coincide. In particular, women’s walking shoes have a greater width at the level of the sole of the foot, while shrinking at the heel.
I, therefore, recommend that you pay attention to the model of shoe you buy. Women’s walking shoes may not be comfortable for a man unless the man’s foot shape is slightly different than the norm and feels more comfortable with women’s shoes. And vice versa.
The weight that the shoe has to bear is also different between men and women since the latter are on average lighter. Finally, more marked grooves in the female versions compensate for the lower muscle mass at the time of traction, especially useful on trekking or trail footwear.
The height of a shoe must be proportional to the difficulty of the terrain on which you walk. For the mountains, you may prefer high boots that are comfortable for walking, since the foot will be firmer and protected from the roughness of the rough terrain. This can give you more safety during your walks.
If, on the other hand, you plan to walk mainly in the city or on rather an easy terrain, I recommend that you move towards lower shoes. The ankle left free will not excessively risk getting injured, maintaining greater lightness and softness, ideal for long walks.
WHAT KIND OF SHOE DO YOU NEED TO BUY?
Walking shoes have gradually specialized more and more depending on the main activity they are intended for. It will be up to you to choose the most suitable ones for the use you want to make of them.
In general, the best hiking shoes are the most comfortable for short or long walks. Especially when it comes to the softer and lighter models, they adapt well to any terrain, with good performance on the more bumpy ones and a lot of comfort in simpler situations.
High shoes for walking in the mountains, on the other hand, are excellent on rough surfaces but can become uncomfortable in the long run if worn in the city. If you are planning to go on a long journey, perhaps with a backpack on your shoulder and doing a lot of hiking, I suggest you choose a comfortable shoe for walking everywhere.
However, boots are warmer than lower shoes, so consider the destination of your trip as well. If you have to do the Trans-Siberian in winter, perhaps it is better to give up on comfort, but have your feet warm.
Is it better to run or walk in the mountains? Athletes in this discipline are confident in responding with the first option and need to buy the best shoes for their competitions. Trail running is called a sports specialty that has developed quite recently which consists of running between paths on normally uneven terrain and with numerous climbs and descents. It goes without saying that the feet are under considerable strain and consequently must be well equipped.
The best trail shoes are very light, but at the same time, they have some tricks to better protect the foot. The toe is well protected to avoid injuries. These are technical shoes for fast walking or running, therefore with a very resistant sole and with large grooves to avoid slipping. The lacing normally reaches a little further down the foot to prevent excessive slipping during the run. To simplify, let’s say that trail shoes differ little from the best hiking shoes and are “just” a little more technical.
Although trekking or trail shoes are excellent in many conditions, the best shoes for walking in the city are usually less technical. In fact, you do not need some characteristic details of mountain footwear. You could also use plain tennis shoes to walk around town since you won’t have to avoid stones or walk on them.
If you have a weekend in a city, there is no need to wear too complicated footwear. Comfortable sneakers for walking will be enough, as well as likely to better match your outfit! In the long run, however, sneakers will be less comfortable than other shoes more suitable for walking.
If, on the other hand, you are planning a long trip where you will face various types of terrain, a pair of trekking shoes are in my opinion more adequate.
Running shoes are also great for walking around town. Since they are made for high foot strain, they will easily adapt to a walk on the sidewalks of London, Berlin, or Budapest (by the way, here are some tips on what to do in the Hungarian capital ).
The best running shoes amortized a lot or a little, are also a good choice on dirt roads. You will not have the protection provided by the best hiking shoes, but you will have the advantage of lightness and a more comfortable step once back in a built-up area. Using running shoes to walk even on not too complicated terrain is a good choice if you have little space in your suitcase and can only bring one type of footwear. Plus you can also go for a jog or jump to the gym while on vacation!